I have personally seen an ipad being used in the classroom and I loved how interactive it was. During first block the teacher had an ipad in her classroom and the students would "play games" that would help them to learn how to write words, trace letters, identify letters, etc. This is one of the reasons I decided to purchase an ipad myself-because of all of the awesome things that a teacher can use it for.
I really liked how this article talked about how the ipad can be a tool for students to learn with even if they are not sitting in the classroom being taught by a teacher. It is a tool that engages students and that most students get excited about using. It can teach concepts to students in a fun way or it can reiterate things that have already been taught in the classroom-allowing students to practice during free time or even at home. Many of the education apps are on the expensive side but there are also many that are very cheap making them easily accessible to more people. There are even some that you can get for free if you look for them.
Another thing I love about the ipad is the ability to record audio, add pictures, or enter in your own things. You can type on an iPad (making it similar to a computer) for older students or younger student can use it to be taught about reading, writing, math, and many other things. There are books that you can read on the ipad, interactive reading activities, math games, and even games/apps that allow students to practice writing. The app that I saw being used with my preschool students was one where the students had to trace different shapes that were a part of a picture and a little mouse would congratulate them when they did this correctly. The app also had them trace letters and short words to give them practice with that.
I absolutely would love to use an ipad in my classroom. I want to teach younger students and I think it can be a fun, interactive way to learn for students. It is a way to engage students in their learning and it will also teach them how to use technology which allows them to learn outside of the classroom.
I liked your personal example about first block and how the teacher you were working with had an iPad in class. Its great to see live examples of teachers implementing technology in their classrooms. I found it beneficial when you talked about what you can do on an iPad. You seemed very positive and secure abut the iPad which makes it easy to follow along and read.
ReplyDelete-Eric
I definitely agree with you on the notion that using an ipad in the classroom will be super beneficial!!! I feel like the younger generations are used to being surrounded by technology...so why not use it to benefit them educationally!!?? I love the versatility of the iPad. From the apps to the voice recording, to the notes and internet; there is SO much that the ipad has to offer!
ReplyDelete