After talking about it in class and reading about it I think I am starting to get a good understanding of what Challenge Based Learning entails. This is not something that I have personally seen used in the classroom but it is something that I think would be very beneficial for students to interact with. It is another way for students to learn other than simply taking notes or listening to a lecture-it allows students to put their thoughts into action and to explore something that they are passionate about.
Challenge Based Learning is definitely something I would like to use in my future classroom even though I want to work with young students. I think that you can introduce this idea to students at any age-getting students to think about things on a deeper level and teaching students how to ask questions about things. I think challenge based learning allows students to experience things and to think about things that maybe they would not normally. It gets them passionate about something, and gets students to think about solutions to problems that they want to see changed. I think it is important for every student to interact with challenge based learning at least once during their academic schooling. It can put learning into action and can allow students to express themselves in a way they normally cannot in the school setting.
I agree with your statement that involving students in Challenge Based Learning would be extremely beneficial for them. I can remember doing a CBL activity when I was in school and it was one of the most entertaining yet informational projects that I've ever done in my life. Students become really creative with their issues, and as a teacher it would be interesting to see what all your students can do if you give them the control of the project. Students seem to not only learn a lot about their issue, but they seem to end the project learning a lot about themselves and how much of a team player they can really be when everyone in the group is just as passionate as they are. Definitely quite the experience!
ReplyDeleteI like how you were honest about CBL and talked about how you have never seen it used before in the classroom. It is good to know that even though some future educators have not heard of it, they are still willing to give it a shot. It is true that student become creative and learn how to collaborate more with each other. I like how you closed your passage saying that CBL does give students a way to express themselves in a way they normally cannot in the school setting.
ReplyDelete-Eric
I completely agree with you on the basis that I also believe that challenge based learning can be integrated into the younger grades as well. I am left wondering why challenge based learning goes hand in hand with older grades, when it could be used with little children effectively. I think it is important to spark a love for learning in young children, and how better to do that then by having them learn about issues they are passionate/excited about.
ReplyDeleteGreat response, I enjoyed reading your ideas/thoughts. I also have not seen CBL first hand and would be interested in seeing it in a classroom one day. I think that students need more ways to express themselves, what they know and be creative in school settings. And CBL is a great way to add that opportunity into the curriculum. As for younger children I liked how this really connects to the project approach we have for curriculum in early childhood. I think its like a setting stone to getting students ready for CBL and to have a love and passion for learning.
ReplyDeleteNice blog post, Courtney. I think it is cool that you are thinking about how to use challenge based learning in a classroom with younger students. I want to work with older students in the future, so I had not thought about it, but I agree that it would be a good addition to younger classrooms, too. I have not seen CBL used in a classroom, either, but I am also excited to hopefully use it some day.
ReplyDelete